Introduction to Software Containers
Why use software containers?
- Simple Containers simplify software installation and management.
- Portable You can build an image on one machine and run it on another.
- Reproducible Versioning and freezing of containers enable data reproducibility.
- share the OS kernel of the host
- virtualize the OS instead of hardware
- have much less overhead and faster deployment than a VM
Singularity is designed for HPC
- Does not require sudo privilege to run (unlike Docker)
- Interoperates well with HPC resource managers in multi-node environments
- Easily makes use of GPUs, high speed networks, parallel filesystems
- Able to convert Docker images into Singularity